Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to get an extended listing in Google

How to get an extended listing in Google 4 years 6 months ago #338

• hotmom
  • Fresh Boarder
If you search for White House on Google, you can see that they have links to parts of their site and a search box underneath their Google listing.

That makes for a very big listing!

How can we get this for our website?

white_house.png
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by hotmom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to get an extended listing in Google 4 years 6 months ago #342

• Orrymain
  • Platinum Boarder
I've seen that type of listing for many sites, especially large ones. I have no idea how that happens. I always assumed they paid for it, but no clue.

Re: How to get an extended listing in Google 4 years 6 months ago #347

• Taggart
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, I've seen that on the very established sites. I wonder if the extra links are generated because of the success of those areas of the site?

Re:How to get Google Sitelinks? 4 years 6 months ago #357

• Lorenz Lammens
  • Hi all, I work here at Online Design Bureau.
  • Thank you received: 3
Taggart is spot on.

Disclaimer: Google keeps its algorithms secret, including on how or why it creates sitelinks for some sites and not for others.

When looking for similarities between various sites that have sitelinks, we discovered the following:

* Site ranks first for one major keyword
* Site ranks very high for the keywords in the sitelinks
* Site needs to have a certain minimum of click throughs for these sitelinks. We cannot be sure of the number, but judging from some of our sites with sitelinks, it is not unreasonably high
* The site needs to have a minimum number of indexed pages (less than 100, again, not sure of the exact number)
* The website needs to have a certain age (absolute minimum 18-24 months
* Sitelinks can be added for practical information, e.g. a contact page, but only if the first five requirements are met

If you want to generate sitelinks for your site, the best thing to do is to work on SEO. Choose your 10 most important keywords, optimize your site for them and wait for them to rank well.

Once you have achieved this, and providing that your site is old enough and enough people click through to your site and stay there a while (meaning don't immediately click away from your page)you will find that one day sitelinks will appear on your site - in our experience this coincides with the PageRank update.

The way Google analyzes how long people stay on your site is done via Google Analytics reports and data provided by the Google Toolbar. Again, we cannot be sure about this, because Google keeps this secret, but we are very, very confident of this theory.

As Cassandra correctly speculated: data suggests that this larger listing does increase click throughs. It's very valuable if you can get it.
Always here when you need me. I am the forum administrator and a web designer for Clear Goal Media.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Lorenz Lammens.